[MUD-Dev] New to MUD Dev, need friendly advice!

Eric Merritt cyberlync at yahoo.com
Thu May 15 05:50:47 CEST 2003

[shren <shren at io.com>]

> Do these languages see much use in the hobby-programmer community?

Does it matter? They are well supported by shier respective
communities. The Erlang list is quite active and the Mozart-Oz list
is pretty active as well. Both communities are really great
providing help when asked.

Erlang itself is used in some truly massive produces put out by some
big companies, but it also works well for a single developer.

But to answer your question, Erlang is starting to get more use in
the community. Mozart-Oz is still something of a curiosity to most
people (though it seems to be rock solid). I wouldn't, however call
either popular.

> I've always held to the axiom that the right tool is the tool that
> you know how to use and can do the job.  That might just be me.
> Still, this is all a little off topic - no real need to bring the
> language crusade into a conversation over if simple muds need
> threads.

I wasn't trying to bring up a language crusade, I just hate to see
people struggle when a language doesn't fit what use they are
putting it to. Its like writing a compiler in C when its so much
easier in Ocaml or SML. Or writing a rules engine in C/C++ when it
so much easier to do in Lisp or Prolog.

Erlang and Mozart are the only two concurrent languages I could
think of off the top of my head. I would say this is more about
tools then language proselytizing.