[MUD-Dev] More on Small Worlds - Simulation of behviours in populations

ceo ceo at grexengine.com
Mon Mar 17 17:20:04 CET 2003

Koster, Raph wrote:

> This is a brand new bit of research:

> http://www.economist.com/science/displayStory.cfm?story_id=1632073

> start quote--->
> Pro bono publico
> Mar 13th 2003
> From The Economist print edition
> The evolution of punishment explained

Thanks; I believe this is the research I heard about 9 months ago;
but everytime I tried to relocate the article that explained it, I
could never find it. (IIRC via an Economist article looking at Game
Theory and advances "going beyond game theory". Either that, or an
examination of "explaining why the native american-indians in X
valley died out, despite flourishing and maintaining several
population centres for many years". Not being able to remember the
name of the valley hasn't helped my search :).)

The article contained screenshots of the simulation program, with
one column per individual, and the y-axis charting their role over
time, and how it changed. If anyone comes across the article, I'd
appreciate a link, since I suspect it still makes a good
introduction to the research paper (although obviously the article
will now be considerably out of date in relation to the research).

Adam M