[MUD-Dev] The Price of Being Male

Rayzam rayzam at travellingbard.com
Mon Jun 30 09:29:04 CEST 2003

From: "Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes" <kamikaze at kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu>
> Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 02:13:47PM -0700 in
> <C12079793797A84CA92DF1A6805676F202800994 at e2k1.fullerton.edu>,
> Castronova, Edward <ecastronova at Exchange.FULLERTON.EDU> spake:

>> Anyway, when I conceived of the paper, I thought it was going to
>> show how body-switching made the sexes equal in treatment.

> Humans are a sexually active species, and sexuality is the primary
> element of our psychology.  Nothing will ever make gender
> irrelevant as long as that's true.

Caveat to the above: as long as there are others around to interact
with and options. The success of Tomb Raider as a series has shown
that men and boys do not mind playing the female. The same is true
of Metroid Prime. In these instances, again, the gender of the
avatar has no effect on gameplay.  The key difference with a
multiplayer game is the reactions of other players to the options
you've chosen.