[MUD-Dev] Scripting languages

criscal at gmx.de criscal at gmx.de
Mon Jun 23 04:38:03 CEST 2003

--<cut>--
Note: This message was written via the list web archives.  There is
no guarantee that the claimed author is actually the author.
--<cut>--
Original message: http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2003Q2/msg00467.php

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 02:03:59 -0400
"David H. Loeser Jr." <daklozar at insightbb.com> wrote:
> On Friday, June 20, 2003 12:47 AM Shu-yu Guo wrote

>> As a side note, I often notice that many developers try to write
>> their own scripting language. That's a great way to express your
>> skill, but I doubt some MUD developers can top a language
>> development team. Why do so many people try to make their own
>> while there are tons of good languages ready to be embedded?

I think there might be some reasons to choose to code a customized
script language for a mud server:

Advantages:

  - fits the specific needs of the mud by its very nature

  - can be very simple and easy to learn due to reduced features

  - does not expose more of the engine than it should - different
  scripting languages might tackle that problem easily though

  - hides implementation details

  - special security rules can be implemented more effectively:

    - filtering out powerful commands corresponding to different
    administrative levels

    - prevent infinite loops by newbie scripters

Disadvantages:

  - no prior experience can be brought in by scripters e.g. in case
  people know python or perl

  - in almost all cases performs worse than other scripting
  languages

  - can take some time to be stable, reasonable efficient and
  feature -rich