[MUD-Dev] D&D vs. MMORPG "complexity"

Ryan S. Dancey ryand at organizedplay.com
Fri Jun 20 12:07:06 CEST 2003

From: Threshold RPG [mailto:business at threshold-rpg.com]

<digression>

>> In my experience, the majority of D&D players use considerably
>> more than just the core books.

> Your experience is certainly not the common one. In fact, WoTC had
> to increase the costs of the core books by $10 each because people
> were not buying books beyond the core three like they hoped and
> planned they would.

No, WotC just increased the price because they convinced themselves
they'd make more money.  The core books are selling at something
like 300% planned volumes.  Personally, I think they have made a
long-term error, because the $20 price point insulated them against
a lot of competitive pressures and created a very easy path for
people upgrading from a previous edition of D&D. (Which is why I
priced them at $20 when I was running the show.)

Different managers, different philosphies.

</digression>

Ryan