[MUD-Dev] Scripting languages

Shu-yu Guo shu at rufuran.org
Fri Jun 20 00:46:50 CEST 2003

On Sun, 2003-05-25 at 18:56, Jason Murdick wrote:

> Hi, was wondering if anyone had any experience with implementing
> scripting languages into a mud.

Even many mainstream scripting languages can be embedded. Python
seems to be popular, and I've read somewhere that commercial games
use it (EVE Online, I believe). My personal choice is Ruby, since I
like its syntax and behavior more than Python.

> Been working on a custom mud codebase and we're looking to include
> Lua and use tolua (to bind c/c++ objects).

Both Python and Ruby have C APIs which allows this
nicely. Integrating Ruby has many caveats, though many tutorials
cover them.

As a side note, I often notice that many developers try to write
their own scripting language. That's a great way to express your
skill, but I doubt some MUD developers can top a language
development team. Why do so many people try to make their own while
there are tons of good languages ready to be embedded?

--
``hohoemi wa itsuwari. shinjitsu wa itami.''
                GUO Shu-yu <shu at rufuran.org>