[MUD-Dev] MMO Launch issues ruining potential segments of th e market.

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Thu Jun 19 15:52:29 CEST 2003

From: Derek Licciardi [mailto:kressilac at insightbb.com]

> As I thought about the coming year, investors, publishers, and
> user expectations it occurred to me that the uphill battle I face
> in getting funding could be getting steeper due to related
> products failing to launch properly.  Is it possible that the
> various launch failures of MMOs puts a sour taste in the mouths of
> developers and publishers for that type of MMO?

How about Planetside, or does it not count as an MMO? From what I've
seen it has launched smoothly, pursues a totally different dynamic
to other MMOs and seems to be successfully building up its player
base. Most promisingly, it looks like it's widening the market
rather than cannibalizing it.

I think it's the derivative games that are going to struggle, simply
because they are competing with established games and trying to
capture players who are already thoroughly invested elsewhere. In
terms of the traditional model, is there space for WoW, EQII, SWG,
Warhammer, DragonEmpires & whichever hundred games I've forgotten? I
suspect not.

Dan