[MUD-Dev] Database vs. Disk

Kwon J. Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Thu Jun 19 15:28:00 CEST 2003

corrine_123 at hotmail.com wrote:
> On Fri, 23 May 2003 00:56:54 -0700
> "Kwon Ekstrom" <justice at softhome.net> wrote:

>> I've personally found that at the small to medium scale that
>> performance is better with a file based system.

> Besides performance and scalability, isn't security another
> potential benefit of using a database rather than a file system
> (if you choose the right database, of course)?

Security is always an issue to some degree.

File based doesn't necessary mean plain text either, it's ussually
not too difficult to drop on a layer of encryption if you need to
secure the data.

Even with a database you can have security issues, including stolen
password, or sql injection attacks.

There are simple solutions to most security problems, the issue
isn't finding a solution, it's being consistant at using them.

I'd suggest that the best bet is to backup your data regularly, and
restrict access to critical sections of the data.  From there, you
can add additional layers of security as needed.

-- Kwon J. Ekstrom