[MUD-Dev] Counting Massive Multi Players

Jeremy Gaffney jgaffney at ncaustin.com
Thu Jul 31 12:30:54 CEST 2003

From: Lars Duening [mailto:lars at bearnip.com]

> Personally I am wary of any company asking for my SSN (especially
> here in the USA), passport number, or similar information - this
> information is too easily abused.

> A quick romp through www.lineage.com didn't show any mention of
> SSNs, so maybe the American users don't need to provide them, but
> still.

We don't do it in the US (it's all credit cards here, basically, and
isn't it illegal to ask for SSNs outside of doing a credit check?).

As to why it's useful in Korea - if you want to ban a jerk from your
game, and he's paying cash, how do you know the jerk will stay gone?
Having to give (someone's) SSN is a partial barrier to re-entry.

-jg