[MUD-Dev] BBG's a link to the past

Paul Schwanz pschwanz at comcast.net
Thu Jul 24 16:42:15 CEST 2003

Edward Glowacki wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 09:47, Corpheous Andrakin wrote:

>> Another question is can these types of games be used as customer
>> hooks and even testing modules? Many times games will have an
>> anxious community before the game even comes out.  Could those
>> not fit for beta or not in it because of size restrictions still
>> be put to use unwittingly testing out formulas in a BBG?  If the
>> BBG was detailed enough and modeled after a larger world you
>> could easily incorporate things actual game formulas and such
>> into it couldn't you?  It would also keep back some of the baying
>> of the hounds especially when you push back release dates ;)

> That said, there are potentially some interactive or game-like
> things that would work OK.  Character building, trading, crafting,
> etc.

This made me think of the discussions we've had on this list about
allowing access to various MMORPG game components via the web, a
PDA, etc.  I've always thought this would be a great idea.  It seems
to me that it would keep users connected to and thinking about your
game during the day even if they don't get a chance to log in.  I
can totally see myself checking market statistics at various times
throughout the day in the same sort of way I might check on stock
quotes.  Even better if I can edit the selling price on a vendor's
goods from that same web site.  It seems to me that something like
this would be a perfect thing to use as a hook, while at the same
time testing out what could eventually be an integral part of the
game and getting feedback on the UI.  You might not want to open it
up to the public so that competitors can see what you are doing, but
at least it would allow you to enjoy the buzz of early beta testing
before you had the entire world with all its systems in place.

--Phin