[MUD-Dev] RE: Value of PvP avatars (was: To Kill an Avatar)

Rob Lemos robert at infoserf.net
Thu Jul 24 13:49:02 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 00:37, Richard A. Bartle wrote:
> On 24 July 2004 Robert Lemos wrote:

>> My read on the price difference between male and female avatars
>> was not discrimination, but just a preference of a predominantly
>> male base of players for playing male characters.

> That would explain why there were more male avatars traded than
> female avatars, but not (in itself) why there was a difference in
> price.

A couple of other issues to throw in.

Has anyone studied whether men are more likely to buy a character
through an auction than women? That is, are men more of the achiever
mindset (which I would think by definition would be more likely to
buy a character) than women? If so, that could also explain the
heightened competition, and thus heightened price, of male
characters.

Also, in some ways, if men and women were both identified with their
avatars equally avidly, I would expect the price of women avatars to
be higher. Namely, if there are X women and Y men (with Y >> X) and
an equal proportion (a) of men and women would buy avatars in
auction and the same proportion of men and women would identify with
an avatar of the other gender (g), then there should be a far
greater proportion of buyers for female avatars then for male
avatars. That is, a*g*Y >> a*g*X as Y >> X.

-R

--
| robert lemos | computer & tech journalist |
| e: robert at infoserf.net  |