[MUD-Dev] RE: Value of PvP avatars (was: To Kill an Avatar)

Robert Lemos robert at infoserf.net
Wed Jul 23 20:39:35 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 16:06, Castronova, Edward wrote:

> My paper on male-female price differences also had info on server
> characteristics, unfortunately buried in the hype about sex
> discrimination.

Hey Ed:

Discrimination is a loaded word in these times. I read your paper,
and from my recollection, you didn't make a strong conclusion that
there was bias against women in the game -- the common definition of
gender discrimination.

My read on the price difference between male and female avatars was
not discrimination, but just a preference of a predominantly male
base of players for playing male characters. As the data showed in
your paper, men prefer to play males and women prefer to play
females. As long as the games have significantly more men then women
and as long as the players tend to identify with their characters, I
would say that there is going to be a price difference.

-R

--
| robert lemos | technology journalist   |
| e: robert at infoserf.net | pgp: 12980B23 |