[MUD-Dev] When will new MMORPGs that are coming out get original withthe gameplay?

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Fri Jul 18 05:13:50 CEST 2003

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Daniel James wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Sasha Hart wrote:

>> To someone who is deciding whether or not to risk their financial
>> livelihood, do you think it is 'practical' to put all of your
>> eggs into a basket which is only not decisively demonstrated
>> inferior?

> Well, yes, I do. I have (bet the farm, Moo) -- I believe that I
> mentioned this in a recent de-lurking. For a small company it is
> much more practical to avoid competing in the same expensive race
> as everyone else. I don't know if we can be labelled as
> 'financially conservative', although we sure are cheap.

> A risk-averse company would indeed be unlikely to consider it
> practical.

I think Dan has a point here. We've always tried to take a different
tact towards game design specifically to be different. Difference
can create a niche. It's not going to power a mass market game
barring the rare huge hit, but it can work for smaller
games. There's a huge audience out there and its got some pretty
diverse tastes even if huge portions of it gravitate to the same
type of game.

--matt

"The eyes are not responsible
 when the mind does the seeing." - Publilius Syrus