[MUD-Dev] When will new MMORPGs that are coming out getoriginalwiththe gameplay?

David Kennerly kennerly at sfsu.edu
Wed Jul 16 23:19:01 CEST 2003

And more recently wrote:

> ... I am not sure what you meant by concluding that the games will
> get original when the players pay for original games. A literal
> interpretation suggests that when the players do this, it will be
> straightforwardly detected by the producers, and they will begin
> to sign off on novel games.

I apologize if I have confused you or another reader.  I hope this
summary will clarify the points that I have proposed in this thread:

Voting with one's wallet (via spending) may take the form of
positive or negative reinforcement.  As positive reinforcement to
support original MMO gameplay, players play and pay for MMO titles
with original gameplay.  As negative reinforcement to support
original MMO gameplay, players refuse to play and refuse to pay for
MMO titles that lack original gameplay.

There have been, are, and will be developers working on MMOs with
elements of original gameplay.  So various MMOs with original
gameplay exist in the past, present, and future.

The vast majority of players in the past and present have voted, via
their spending, to not support the various MMOs with original
gameplay in the past and present.  Regardless of vocal complaints,
the vast majority of players financially vote for MMO gameplay that
was established at least a decade ago.

As more players in the present and future vote, via their spending,
for various MMOs with original gameplay on the market or coming to
the market in the immediate future, more developers in the extended
future will allocate a larger budget to designing and implementing
more original MMO gameplay.

As player demand for original MMO gameplay grows, many developers
are happy to develop it.  Likewise, to the extent that players
currently do demand original MMO gameplay (via spending), many
developers are creating original gameplay.

So that was the summary.  Throughout the posts, I have attempted to
concentrate on answering the title of this thread's topic: "When
will new MMORPGs coming out get original with the gameplay?"

Hopefully the above clarifies what I mean by my initial one-sentence
answer: "When players vote for original gameplay with their
wallets."

It's not my wish that any of the above player preferences are so;
it's my casual observation.  I personally enjoy MMOs with original
gameplay.  Nor am I cynical, complacent, or attempting to shift
responsibility.  As a game designer, I have enjoyed, and continue to
enjoy, helping develop original gameplay in an MMO.  Designing fun
and original gameplay is hard work, but that's a challenge that many
game designers dedicate themselves to.

David