[MUD-Dev] When will new MMORPGs that are coming out get original withthe gameplay?

Daniel James d at djames.org
Tue Jul 15 23:36:29 CEST 2003

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Sasha Hart wrote:

> David Kennerly put your game first on his list of original games
> that were 'on the ballot' to be 'voted on' (e.g., bought, in case
> thread context doesn't supply this.) Not knowing whether PP was
> out, nor having any reason to think it wasn't, I accepted this for
> purposes of discussion. But in fact I don't think it matters

Fair enough. I agree that originality is not a 'no brainer'.

> To someone who is deciding whether or not to risk their financial
> livelihood, do you think it is 'practical' to put all of your eggs
> into a basket which is only not decisively demonstrated inferior?

Well, yes, I do. I have (bet the farm, Moo) -- I believe that I
mentioned this in a recent de-lurking. For a small company it is
much more practical to avoid competing in the same expensive race as
everyone else. I don't know if we can be labelled as 'financially
conservative', although we sure are cheap.

A risk-averse company would indeed be unlikely to consider it
practical.

> Are you aware that calling me an 'mmp phanboi' is at least mildly
> insulting? Are you aware that you are delurking out of the blue,
> to flame me, in defense of your company's game on the basis of
> knee-jerk misinterpretations of one of my posts?

Neither was my intention and I apologise if it were read thus. I
hope I can be forgiven for forthrightly correcting the factual error
concerning our fate.

- Daniel