[MUD-Dev] RE: Academic rejection of male/female paper

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Sun Jul 13 22:23:17 CEST 2003

In <URL:/archives/meow?group+local.muddev> on Sat 12 Jul, Castronova, Edward wrote:
> From: "Richard A. Bartle" <richard at mud.co.uk>

>> On the one hand, you're experiencing the same anti-game bias that
>> has been restricting research in this area for years;

> That's depressing, isn't it? No matter the discipline, everyone I
> talk to who works on games reports poo-pooing from the powers that
> be. Computer science even.

It is not that surprising really. You encounter the same prejudice
that has kept 'comics' from being recognised as a valid literary
genry in most countries outside Japan.

Like comics, games are considered to be something for children and
thus it can not be real science to study them. Unless you are com-
ing from an educational point of view of course.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,
Arrows of the Queen, by Mercedes Lackey