[MUD-Dev] RE: Academic rejection of male/female paper

Richard A. Bartle richard at mud.co.uk
Sun Jul 13 13:45:25 CEST 2003

On 12 July 2003, Edward Castronova wrote:

> That's depressing, isn't it? No matter the discipline, everyone I
> talk to who works on games reports poo-pooing from the powers that
> be. Computer science even.

Perversely, the opposite also works. Academics who do study computer
games have a harder time getting published in the industry's own
forums than they should. Example: I pitched a paper to this year's
GDC-Europe and they didn't even deign to tell me they'd rejected it.

> Yes, and I would have been well-prepared to amend the paper to
> address these concerns, since they had been expressed so well
> here!

<grin>

> I will try one or two more journals, then let it die. In the
> internet age, the thing is more 'published' now than it would be
> if some journal printed it. Nobody reads journals, but lots of
> people read blogs.

People may not read journals, but academics read lists of referreed
publications when deciding whether to hire or promote or fund one
another; mentions in blogs don't count as referreed publications.

> I do appreciate your encouragement! Thanks.

The more research the better as far as I'm concerned!

> I remember when I posted some of my work to Slashdot, and someone
> said "This guy is just trying to boost his career with this
> stuff."  Riiiiight. Research saying that real things happen in
> games, including cross-dressing, is going to boost my career with
> economists. lol.

Ah, but the Slashdot poster didn't say you were doing it to boost
your career with economists, just that you were doing it to boost
your career. Maybe they felt you could be aiming to become a media
celebrity or something...

Taking this "boosting your career" argument to its logical
conclusion, of course, all research should be published anonymously.
Otherwise, it might boost the career of whoever wrote it.

		Richard