[MUD-Dev] Academic rejection of male/female paper

Richard A. Bartle richard at mud.co.uk
Fri Jul 11 19:58:22 CEST 2003

On 10 July 2003, Edward Castronova wrote:

> The critical sentence

>   "Personally, I'm much less interested in the pricing of the
>   characteristics of 'virtual' things than of those that are
>   real."

> Among professional people, the line between the virtual and the real
> is still very thick. Food for thought.

Presumably the reviewer isn't interested in the futures market,
then?

On the one hand, you're experiencing the same anti-game bias that
has been restricting research in this area for years; on the other
hand, if the reviewer had actually understood anything about virtual
worlds then he or she may well have asked the same questions that we
did on this list (although, to be fair, most of the arguments
concerned what people thought your paper said, not what it actually
said).

I'm sure you'll get it published elsewhere, though.

		Richard