[MUD-Dev] [NEC] 2.8: A Group Is Its Own Worst Enemy (fwd)

Jeff Cole jeff.cole at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 10 14:12:16 CEST 2003

From: Michael Tresca

> I find the "just let them all figure it out on their own" approach
> to be a lazy way of dealing with massive populations.  Somehow,
> the games can accommodate millions but can't deal with their
> segmentations when businesses and countries do just that.

> [I believe] that communities, left to their own devices,
> DEGRADE. Structure isn't just important, it's necessary for the
> long term survival of the group.

Ah, but consider whether such effective business- or state-imposed
structures can be imposed by designers.  I don't think so.  Among
other things, designers do not have the leverage to impose the same
structures on large populations as businesses and states impose on
their large populations.

Yrs. Afftcy,
Jeff Cole