[MUD-Dev] Can "non-twitch" ranged-combat be fun in a MMORPG?

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Tue Jul 8 09:05:29 CEST 2003

Daniel Anderson writes:

> <EdNote: ...deletia... and some minor editing>
>
> Planetside is a MMOFPS, and it has ranged combat involving guns.
> It's fun, but it also twitch based.  How can you make it so ranged
> combat involving guns is at the very least an enjoyable activity for
> a MUD, or is it even possible without being twitchy?

Make the guns inherently lethargic.  I don't know what kind of gun you're
talking about, but if you have tanks with guns, then it's not very twitchy.
The guns don't traverse and elevate quickly, meaning that everything happens
a bit more ponderously.  If you want to slow things down even more, make it
105mm howitzers that have to be set up and aimed for individual shots.  Or
civil war era smooth bore cannon.  Or medieval ballista, trebuchet and
catapult.  There are plenty of guns that are less twitchy than an Uzi
(lightweight, high rate of fire, etc).

There is absolutely NO reason why guns in a MUD need to be twitchy.

JB