[MUD-Dev] Re: When will new MMORPGs that are coming out get original with the gameplay?

Snicker Furfoot snicker at pinkpig.com
Sun Jul 6 21:17:26 CEST 2003

At 12:02 PM 7/5/2003 -0700, "Daniel Anderson" <melinko at insight.rr.com> wrote:

> After seeing game after game being an almost exact clone, when
> will things start to change?  Most developers know what works, so
> they will implement the same design, ( i.e. the D&D clone) but
> needless to say, how long will it be before people are sick of
> these clones?

> When do you think we'll start to see the majority of MMORPGs more
> original?

The "majority" will never be original.  For the same reason that
there are more silver cars than any other color, and why there are
thirty clones of every good movie ever made.  It's just part of the
capitalist reaction.

That being said, there are a number of original MMORPGs out there
already, and many more coming out.  The two I can think of off the
top of my head are A Tale in the Desert and City of Heroes.  A Tale
in the Desert is an Egyptian-themed social game of resource
gathering, cooperation and politics.  City of Heroes is the much
anticipated superhero MMORPG.  I think those definitely qualify as
original ;)

Snicker Furfoot