[MUD-Dev] Programming Languages.

Richard A. Bartle richard at mud.co.uk
Fri Jul 4 09:13:18 CEST 2003

On 03 July 2003, Roy Trubshaw wrote:

> "You haven't lived 'til you've died in MUD." Some marketing guy
> from BT New Information Services (whose name I have forgotten):
> MUD Marketing Slogan 1985

His name was Mike Anderiesz, and he's still involved in computer
games (he interviewed me a last year for "a HUGE feature" in PC Zone
on online games - I don't know if it was ever published).

It may have been his decision to use the "you haven't lived..."
line as a marketing slogan, but it wasn't his line. I came up with
that in, hmm, 1979 when Nigel Roberts was creating an account for us
on MIT's system (I think - it could have been Stanford). The
account-creation process asked for a line that described the user,
and we needed something fast because the connection could have gone
down at any moment. On the spur of the moment, I suggested "You
haven't lived until you've died in MUD", and that's what Nigel
typed. It got us some players, as I recall.

		Richard

Proud owner of http://www.youhaventlived.com .