[MUD-Dev] Programming Languages.

Peter Peter
Thu Jul 3 21:42:24 CEST 2003

"Matthew Estes" <matt at maintree.com> wrote:

>> i saw your prior post about Erlang. I know they are using it in
>> Ericsson, but i find it too proprietary and unsupported.

> How so? There are open-source implementations of Erlang, and the
> compiler/environment provided on erlang.org comes with source. My
> understanding of their licensing agreement is that its a fairly
> standard open source license, and definitely no problems for
> others writing open source.

I have originally ignored this paragraph, because i considered it
unimportant. but Bruce has kindly asked me to to respond, so here i
do:

I didn't ment the licence and the sources - under proprietary i
understand something made in-house. Under standardised i understand
watched by some form of neutral comitee.  Under supported I
understend - used by many users in many open projects.  but, what is
many - ask i myself when i see what have i written?  Many is a
criticall mass. when a criticall mass of users [of a programming
language] is formed, at least >3 commercial projects will start to
use it.  and at that time, some comitee will be formed, to neutrally
watch over the future development of the language (code). it will
mostly be formed by 3 members [persons] of that 3 commercial
projects (because they've indirectly put money into the language)
and at that time, it will be non-proprietary and supported... :) at
least, this is my funny idea of how the standarts in languages are
working. and i don't want to touch anymore anything
unstandardised. (too many bad memories).

Pietro

ps: before it will get known by some other channels, i must publicly
note that ericsson is our direct competition, and that our company
is using chill for developing one particullar product group. (in '97
they wanted to use it for everything :)))

but i do not do any programming, so my opinions here should be
unbiased.