[MUD-Dev] Material state transformations

Yuri Bazhukov ybazhukov at ktl.ru
Thu Jul 3 14:41:58 CEST 2003

Zach wrote on Wed, 2 Jul 2003 08:42:06 -0400 (EDT):
> On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Yuri Bazhukov wrote:

>> I am very interested, in material transformations from solid to
>> liquid, from liquid to gaseous form. I think it will be very good
>> to implement it, because it adds some variety to game. I found
>> some difficulties in implementing it, and want to ask community
>> about ways to implement it.  The main problem is determine
>> characteristics of transformed object.

> Did you want to have an algorithm solve this for you, or do you
> want to avoid entering different sets of characteristics for each
> state of a material?  An algorithm would be a hard solution, since
> it has to take into account what each material is made of; in the
> end, you'd probably end up feeding it charts of data anyway, your
> own periodic table at least.

I'm looking for characteristics of different states of material, or
at least some of them, which are "most known", or "visual" to
people.

> Here's a simple data structure as I might do it:

>   class Resource:
>   # type data
>   material = material type
>   freezing_point = temperature
>   melting_point = temperature
>   sublimation = time for one unit to sublimate (or None/0 if it
>       doesn't), negative measurements mean that condensation is the norm
>   solid_data = array
>   liquid_data = array
>   gas_data = array

Exactly this I would to know.  Do you have ideas which data should
be stored in array?  I can think only about density, which can
determine, can object sink or surface, and, with big different of
densities, one object could broke another object.  Also color of
different state, which people can see when look at object.  Anybody
know other "visual" characteristics?

Thanks.