[MUD-Dev] Programming Languages.

MIKE MacMartin mike at igs.net
Thu Jul 3 13:22:14 CEST 2003

"Matthew Estes" <matt at maintree.com> wrote:

> So is C++ about it for MUD implementation?

I'm using C++ for mine, mostly 'cause its the language I know best.
It also happens to have all the features I want/need - templates,
classes, functor support and so on - having a large number of errors
caught at compile rather than run time.

Java and C both have large amounts of problems - Java with the fact
that you're never guaranteed to have an object go away, or a
destructor called (limiting what you can do with your objects) and C
with the lack of references (meaning that you're stuck with always
comparing against 0).  They're both useful, and could do a good job,
but as I see it, it's easier to write it in a language where the
correct paradigm is already there for you (for example, my library
uses extensive use of map<string, int> and map<string, string> so
that I don't proscribe a system to the people using it.)

MIKE
--
Beware the JabberOrk