[MUD-Dev] Programming Languages.

Peter Peter
Thu Jul 3 10:30:37 CEST 2003

"Matthew Estes" <matt at maintree.com> wrote:

> The message passing concurrency only eliminates a large set of
> problems with multithreaded designs. Also, I find pattern matching
> syntax of Erlang a very natural way to solve some problems. In

matter of taste. actually i don't think neighter of them is
appropriate for a mud.

> I would not consider "big industry design" a good thing. Really, I
> PERSONALLY prefer to stay away from most of the things you
> mentioned in that list. Don't get me wrong, I'm a proponent of
> good design, its just I prefer different tools for reasons that
> are probably not appropriate to go into on this list.

> So is C++ about it for MUD implementation?

I see it the way that c++ has most support, most tools, and most
middleware.  and you're most likly to get a help when in trouble.
and beside all of this, i am in love with c++ :))) which would be
the main argument.  but it all would depend of the project, of
course. if it is your hobby project, then follow your love. if money
are involved, well, then open your excel sheet and start
calculating. what is the salary of a expert programmer in any given
language/system? how is their experince level? what are the
deadlines?

About that industry design, i would like to do a experiment: use UML
to design the logic of the PW. from that, you could implement it in
any other (OO) language. will see if that will work. (not even much
of industry is using UML)

Pietro