[MUD-Dev] Programming Languages.

Bruce Mitchener bruce at cubik.org
Thu Jul 3 08:36:19 CEST 2003

Hi Matthew,

Matthew Estes wrote:

> I hate to spew so much Erlang propaganda, but if half of what the
> website claims is true, it seems ideal, and I was hoping someone
> could tell me if my goals were misdirected in using something more
> obscure like Erlang. Oh yeah, I own the server I'm going to run it
> on, so no problem with having the Erlang environment avaialable.

I've spent some time in the past looking at Erlang and hope to find
the time to write some code using it in the future to learn more
about it.

One thing that I noticed is that, if you're doing a text-based
system, string performance is horrible in Erlang due to how it
represents strings (as lists of integers).  But it looks like there
are plenty of ways to ensure that that doesn't become a large
problem.

I also know of two different groups of people working on games using
Erlang on the server side.  One is Rei, http://rei.vawis.net/.  The
other isn't public, but if you're interested, I can put you in touch
with the person behind it if you contat me off list.

And, as you pointed out in response to Peter Rossman, Erlang is
available under a license which is a derivative of the Mozilla
public license.  It is no more proprietary than many other
corporately sponsored open source projects.

  - Bruce