[MUD-Dev] Scripting languages

Kwon J. Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Wed Jul 2 17:50:28 CEST 2003

Bruce Mitchener wrote:
> Kwon J. Ekstrom wrote:

>> I personally don't see how writing a custom language helps much
>> against malicious code.

> It depends on the custom language of course.  Various systems out
> there have security models that are part of the language, its
> compilation environment, or its runtime environment.

Perhaps I misworded this.

While I'm positive that a custom language "can" help with security,
I don't see that as reason enough to write my own.  Several embedded
languages have a security model that's been tested on a variety of
systems.

I'm sure there's some loopholes to my security model I haven't found
yet, holes I haven't patched, etc.  Those holes are on my objects
themselves, the language is secure.

The security features you mentioned in your examples all seem based
on enforcing a priviledge model.  This is exactly what I did with
Rhino, and I'm fairly sure that it took alot less time to research
and code.

-- Kwon J. Ekstrom