[MUD-Dev] Programming Languages.

Matthew Estes matt at maintree.com
Wed Jul 2 15:01:37 CEST 2003

I have been interested in doing my MMOG for a while, and although I
know C better than any other language, I have been considering
Erlang as a base language. I was wondering whether anyone has any
experience doing a MUD in Erlang and what they think about it.

Erlang seems ideal for this kind of thing as it was designed for
writing reliable distributed client-server systems and is used in
telecommunications applications. Also I like the idea that its
threading model encourages lots of threads, as opposed to the
heavierweight threading model of POSIX threads in C on *nix and
Windows. The built-in garbage collection, and cross-platform parts
are nice too. Best of all, it supports distributed systems natively
so my server were to need to scale to multiple machines it would be
a simpler job to update the code than say an app written in C. Its
even designed to be more secure(no buffer overflow attacks and the
such to worry about.

I hate to spew so much Erlang propaganda, but if half of what the
website claims is true, it seems ideal, and I was hoping someone
could tell me if my goals were misdirected in using something more
obscure like Erlang. Oh yeah, I own the server I'm going to run it
on, so no problem with having the Erlang environment avaialable.

							Matt Estes