[MUD-Dev] Architecture (Cell Rebalancing)

Rossmann Peter peter.rossmann at siemens.com
Wed Jul 2 10:39:43 CEST 2003

On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 06:38:23 -0700
Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:

> I'd argue that this approach is over engineered. If player density

> Of course an alternative is to look at non-spacial paritioning. Do
> cell's need to reflect geographical position? Its certainly not
> required, but when you start factoring in AI navigation, object
> interactions etc it seems that geographic association is needed at
> least somewhere in the system.

It was overengeneered.  I have tried to draw new design here:

  http://w1.860.telia.com/~u86015984/MMO-Grid-Cluster-v2.jpg

all elements are actually arrays of the same elements.

I am not sure about the AI manager. Should it interact with
everything thru World Manager? Or should it be able to run it's own
queries on spatial database and modify the Object database directly?

Pietro

PS: Those boxes are not computers, those are separated elements - or
modules. If one takes a SMP computer such as Sun v880, it could run
all on one computer. (but who would pay for such a beast? :))