[MUD-Dev] Corba + pvm for servers? + UML + case tools

Peter Peter
Wed Jul 2 09:05:29 CEST 2003

Hi,

some time ago (in archives) i've seen someone mentioning that corba
is not good for mmog servers. (i am still through the archichives,
it's reading for 2 years!)

Now i have seen that there is Rea-Time Corba specification, with
measurements showing that it really is quite a low latency, high
speed protocol. (implemented e.g. <www.theaceorb.com>) Now I am
wondering - what's wrong with the Corba for mmog servers?

and second part of my question - what about PVM? (Parallel Virtual
Machine) for mmog servers?

I belive that the development process could really benefit using
that low layers for building a server array.  And when we are at the
development process - as the development of mmog servers is gaining
momentum, it's fighting the same plague as development in any other
industry - the development cycle is too long.  The industry has
solved this by using such tools as UML + other case tools, offering
the shortening of the cycle, but lowering also the effectivity of
the code. I belive, the same would happend here. Anyhow, trading few
monts of development to need of using one more server at runtime is
a good business, isn't it? :)

Pietro