[MUD-Dev] The Price of Being Male

Chris Holko cholko at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 1 13:54:15 CEST 2003

From: "Travis Casey" <efindel at earthlink.net>

> So the question is: why is it more OK playing, say, Everquest, for
> me to pretend I'm a *male* elven wizard instead of a female one?

Because a number of players in MMORPGS are not politically correct,
let alone tolerant.  In other words, they will not refrain from
exerting peer pressure over your choice, even if that includes using
derogatory/offensive terms.  The methods of which usually involves
words, parental references, sexual preference and suggestions of
other deviant behavior.

You can find the most polite people in MMORPGs, but you also can
find the reverse as well.  Guess which one has the biggest impact?