[MUD-Dev] Working with Franchises

Geoff Lane zzassgl at twirl.mcc.ac.uk
Mon Jan 27 09:52:09 CET 2003

Damion Schubert:

> All the folks who worked on Millionaire can point to their
> paychecks and say "we did our part."  They can then point to the
> owners of ABC and say "you guys didn't follow up."

Millionaire is losing audience on both sides of the pond because
it's "value" was squandered.  In the UK, as soon as it was noticed
that Millionaire provided a quarenteed audience, it was used as a
schedule honeypot to attract audiences to less successful programs.
When Millionaire was on one or more times a day there was no rarity
value -- there's always another episode on soon, so missing one was
no longer a problem.

Application to MUDs?  High value player rewards should be relatively
rare, otherwise you end up devaluing the reward and generating
inflation within the game. But players who never seem to be
successful will soon leave a game so maybe there is more value in
providing individual player goals and rewards rather than a common
"quest" that all compete to win.  Even better is a bit of both I
suppose - one of the really good aspects of Elite was you could
choose from a number of styles of play, any one of which provided a
good game.

--
/\ Geoff. Lane. /\ Manchester Computing /\ Manchester /\ M13 9PL /\ England /\

Data, data everywhere, and not a byte to eat!