[MUD-Dev] Working with Franchises (was Star Wars Galaxies: 1 char per server)

Michael Tresca talien at toast.net
Sat Jan 25 12:26:44 CET 2003

Damion Schubert posted on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 9:18 PM

> A slight correction.

> All the folks who worked on Millionaire can point to their
> paychecks and say "we did our part."  They can then point to the
> owners of ABC and say "you guys didn't follow up."

> There is certainly nothing wrong with creating a short-term
> product.  Most computer games, in fact, are, and I've seen
> business models for MMPs that would work as short-term
> investments.  The trick is being sure that you are realistically
> planning for that product's obsolescence.

A fair point, Damion.  To be more specific -- massive virtual
universes seem (to me) to be long-term investments.

And thus the question: just how long do MMORPG designers expect
their games to last?

Mike "Talien" Tresca
RetroMUD Administrator
http://www.retromud.org/talien