Brand Loyalty (was Re: [MUD-Dev] Requirements for MM(wasComplexities of MMOG Servers))

Russ Whiteman russw99 at swbell.net
Wed Jan 22 15:58:45 CET 2003

From: "Koster, Raph" <rkoster at soe.sony.com>

> I suspect you don't tend to get the same degree of griefplay that
> we do.  Should we offer this, every griefer would promptly make
> hundreds of throaway guest characters and go harass people.

Absolutely!  When GemStone III was available on AOL, the staff was
spending -huge- amounts of time trying to deal with griefers.
Unfortunately, as soon as we'd lock out one account, they'd fire up
another "trial" disk (or create another hacked account with AoHell),
and they'd be back in little more time than it took -us- to perform
the lockout.  The whole situation was a gawdawful nightmare, fun
only for the griefers.