[MUD-Dev] re: there.com

Elia Morling elia at familjen.se
Wed Jan 22 13:42:18 CET 2003

 On Tuesday, January 14, 2003 9:34 PM, matt wrote:

> Well, the pay-for-virtual-objects business model is a very good
> one (he says modestly). What they seem to be missing, however, is
> the idea that they have to create a context for the items to be
> valuable enough to make the business model more valuable than a
> standard monthly fee. A chat-room isn't that context.

I don't really agree. A deeper context would enhance revenue, but it
would not stop the community from valuing items. An item can be
valued by things such as their name, description, design, color,
accessibilty and of course trendiness.

You will get far by simply throwing in a batch of virtual items into
a chat room without any deeper context. That is not to say that the
value would increase with a context, but it is not necessarily
something you "have to do".

Elia Morling