Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Thu Jan 16 18:00:41 CET 2003

From: "Matt Mihaly" <the_logos at achaea.com>

> I can't recall the specifics of your original post, but you're
> describing exactly what we've done with Achaea. We basically
> franchised it out

What did you learn in this process that could be instructive? For
example, could a game engine be franchised out to *hundreds* of
content creators and server operators, or does this seem like
something you'd only be able to do on a small scale? You mentioned
that your company handles the actual billing and accounting; is this
something that you see as *necessary*, or just a value-added portion
of the license you've provided to other game operators?

I think this is quite possibly *the* way for small companies to go
with future MMOG projects, since there are a LOT of ideas, but we
have only a relatively small amount of technical expertise
available. Just as most MUD servers made their mark by getting used
in lots of games, some of them very dissimilar, I see the distinct
possibility that MMOG servers will do more or less the same
thing. Developing an engine is expensive, and we're already starting
to see middleware libraries for MMOGs published -- in your opinion,
is this something scalable and sensible, or would a company be
better off starting from scratch?