Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Wed Jan 15 17:28:18 CET 2003

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Vincent Archer wrote:
> According to Caliban Tiresias Darklock:

>> The defense of your playstyle is reasonably irrelevant. The
>> question at issue is more one of whether a game MUST support your
>> playstyle, and I would argue that the answer is "no" regardless
>> of who you are and what your playstyle is and how many people
>> agree with you.

>> In short, there can and should be games you won't play.

> That there can, no doubt.

> That there should, it remains in contention.

How is that a contentious statement? It's like saying, "The world is
fundamentally incapable of making everybody simultaneously happy."
It's barely worth arguing about. Some people have fundamentally
opposing desires, which ensures that there is no way to ever make
everybody happy.  If I want to only play games that have free and
open PK, and Bob wants to only play games that have no PK
whatsoever, then you either make a game that makes neither of us
happy (some sort of compromise) and which neither of us would play
(due to our fundamentalist desires), or you make a game that caters
to either Bob or I. In no case will everyone want to play the
game. Should games not be made then, since you simply cannot make a
game that every single person will play?

--matt