Marc Fielding fielding at computer.org
Mon Jan 13 23:12:09 CET 2003

[ Caliban Tiresias Darklock ]

>> My arguments are based on my personal experience and the
>> experiences of nearly two dozen friends and acquaintances that
>> spend their leisure time in MMOGs. The defense of our playstyle,
>> a playstyle that seems rather popular even in this list, is by
>> definition subjective. However, balancing among competing
>> "subjectivities" is one of the challenging components of game
>> design. This isn't a hard science.

> The defense of your playstyle is reasonably irrelevant. The
> question at issue is more one of whether a game MUST support your
> playstyle, and I would argue that the answer is "no" regardless of
> who you are and what your playstyle is and how many people agree
> with you.

Incorrect. While no game MUST support every playstyle, advocacy for
the inclusion of a very popular playstyle is far from
irrelevant. This is especially true given the stated goal of growing
the MMOG market.

> Exactly. An MCS server can't support as many players as an SCS
> server, so you need more servers. And that's not an intra-server
> issue at all.

Of course it can. You just need to provide extra resources to cover
the additional characters per player. New shards can be added to
handle excess players, but that's an issue applicable to both SCS
and MCS.

Your own analysis is complicating the problem for you.

-Marc

P.S.: You *do* know that most MCS systems only allow one character
per player to be logged at a time, right?