[MUD-Dev] EthernalQuest

Valerio Santinelli tanis at mediacom.it
Sun Jan 12 22:54:11 CET 2003

Frank Crowell wrote:
> From: "Valerio Santinelli" <tanis at mediacom.it>
>> Frank Crowell wrote:

>>> These projects have potential for experimentation. but unless
>>> they get support from the game companies themselves the projects
>>> will eventually hit the wall. For example, the UO emulator
>>> community has a big advantage over the EQ emulators -- you can
>>> add content to UO emu.  If you can't add content, then you are
>>> sort of limited by what you can do.

>> Why are you saying that you cannot add contento to EQ emulators?
>> I find this weird. It should be possible just like it is with UO
>> emus. Am I misunderstanding your words?

> Currently the state is not like UO emulators. For UO, the format
> for all the content files are fairly well known and there are
> tools to help create UO em content.  That is not the case for EQ
> Emus. In every case, there is enough missing information to where
> no one has been able to create any meaningful content.  Okay, it
> is possible to retexture a model and there are zone viewers.  But
> even the tools to do these things are not that well and can't help
> anyone add a new zone or add a new char, npc, or mob. or objects.

That's exactly the state UO emulators were in the beginning. Only a
little of the content format was documented and everything was
discovered by trial and error. That's the way those things go :)

> New content can be added in the sense of creating new database
> entries.  But it makes use of existing icons and textures.

The ability of adding new content for the UO client started popping
up only after months.. maybe more than a year if I remember well. I
see EQ emus as embrional projects that are going to get better and
better as days pass by.  I've never seen an emulator that can do
everything the original can if not after years of development.

> I personally like the approach that has been taken for NWN.  For
> NWN, there is a 3DS Max 4+ plugin that import/exports models for
> NWN, and a Gmax script to do the same thing.  Of course I wish
> there was a working script for older 3DS Max.

The way adopted by Bioware is a successfull one. They're not the
first doing so.. it's been that way since the first FPS mods were
developed.. and notably they were developing NWN with this in
mind. EQ's developers never thought about other people adding
contento to their game, I guess.

--
c'ya!

Valerio Santinelli