[MUD-Dev] Powergaming (was Star Wars Galaxies: 1 character per server)

Rayzam rayzam at travellingbard.com
Sun Jan 12 11:38:58 CET 2003

From: "Damion Schubert" <damion at zenofdesign.com>

> For a huge part of the game-playing community, optimizing one's
> gameplay is fun.  I got to spend a day with Jon Van Canegham, who
> is the guy behind all of the Might and Magic games.  He taught me
> many smart things during the day, but perhaps the one that has
> lingered with me longest is that _powergaming is fun_.

Sure it is. But the real issue is For How Long?

> It seems that being a god is a pretty mass market fantasy.

It works great for games that are developed for 20, 40, or 100 hours
of gameplay. And then the player buys the sequel. But I doubt it
works for mass market persistent world, for longevity of
subscriptions.

Now for some cliches with truth to them:

  - everything in moderation

  - the brighter you burn, the faster you burn out

  - no pain, no gain: you appreciate more the things you earned.

  - nepotism sucks unless you're part of the family

Alternatively:

  - all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

  - even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat

And finally one with Universal Truth:

  - Never eat yellow snow.

rayzam
www.travellingbard.com