Brand Loyalty (was Re: [MUD-Dev] Requirements for MM (wasComp lexities of MMOG Servers))

shren shren at io.com
Sat Jan 11 14:13:44 CET 2003

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Koster, Raph wrote:
> From: Sasha Hart

>> Something just hit me in the head. This problem (people want to
>> be skillful, but can't develop the skill or whatever) seems more
>> troublesome when there is just one ladder

> Hence the Law that's been in there for years now:

> The secrets to a really long-lived, goal-oriented, online game of
> wide appeal:

*snip*

>    - make it easy to switch between paths of advancementt
>    (ideally, without having to start over)

I'm not sure that you are refering or hinting to class and levels
here, but a thought occured to me.  I'm thinking of the matrix dojo
scene here.  Obviously Neo and Morpheus are supposed to be black
belts in more than one style of martial arts.  Clearly, though, they
can't use them all at the same time - they switch styles.  What
would an EQ-like game be if you could switch your class by flipping
a switch and waiting 15 seconds?  You could have the same character
as a 15th level ranger 50th level cleric, and be able to flip
between them and advance them seperately.