[MUD-Dev] Requirements for MM (was Complexities ofMMOGServers)

Ted L. Chen tedlchen at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 8 17:06:59 CET 2003

Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:
> From: "Ted L. Chen"

>>   Buffy, who's reading posts in a Hobbies & Crafts forum, can pop
>>   out, jump into Religion & Spirituality and effortlessly talk to
>>   Bubba in much the same way as she did in Hobbies & Crafts.

> Not really. Both Buffy and Bubba are welcome to participate in
> either forum, but generally speaking the subculture of each forum
> expects to see conversation which is either on the subject, or
> provided by people who are "known" to the forum -- which is to
> say, people who have posted on-topic messages of general value to
> the community for a suitable period of time. So if Buffy wants to
> discuss Bubba's choice of crochet supplies, she had probably
> better stay in H&C rather than go to R&S... unless she's known to
> the R&S community and they've decided to tolerate side
> conversation on her part.

I personally question the usefulness of delineating MOGs/OGs based
on the formation of cliques instead of game mechanics and design.
In fact, we've seen cliques form at any scale, from small parties to
your largest convention.  But this distinction is a personal choice
of mine and by no means something that others need to adopt (I think
we're mostly settled on a numeric definition of MMORPG anyway).
Besides, we're getting into such a fuzzy boundary area here with
forums, tradewars, ATC sims, that many interpretations could be
argued.

> I would. But then, I think MUDs *are* MOGs.

I thought you might  ;)

TLC