Brand Loyalty (was Re: [MUD-Dev] Requirements for MM (wasComp lexities of MMOG Servers))

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Tue Jan 7 13:30:39 CET 2003

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Hulbert, Leland wrote:

> I have often thought of using in game "gods" for this capacity.
> Give a couple of people access to statistics on the current game:
> how many of their followers have died or increased in level,
> quotes from a "pray" command, the current level of advancement of
> each god's perview, etc.  Then give them some method of making
> changes to the game, whether it be "blessings," or the simple
> movement of mobs as above.  Maybe allow them to create some quests
> and rewards.

> I generally figure to work it with 2 gods, good and evil, with bad
> controling most of the mobs, and good generally acting in favor of
> the players.

> Of course, having never worked out the specifics, it sounds just
> as good as strong AI :) The devil is in the details.

Achaea and Aetolia work somewhat like this and it is way better than
any AI in existence. We do things a bit differently, as there are
quite a few Gods, and just as much reason to follow the God of Evil
as there is to follow the God of Light or God of Wealth.

One thing we don't do is tie the capability of the Gods to the
actions of players particularly strongly. If you've got a good
builder, you don't want to limit his or her access just because he
or she doesn't have a dedicated/large enough following in-role.

--matt