Brand Loyalty (was Re: [MUD-Dev] Requirements for MM (wasComp lexities of MMOG Servers))

Ted Milker tmilker at thewretched.org
Tue Jan 7 12:36:24 CET 2003

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 02:14:45PM -0800, Koster, Raph wrote:

> Do you mean Sims Online? If you do, it has tremendous treadmills
> that are mandatory before you can do hardly anything creative. You
> have to earn sick amounts of money and have to macro your skills
> for hours to do anything creative.

There's hardly anything in The Sims: Online that can be called
creative.  You have to run multiple treadmills at once(skills,
economic and character) like a little hampster for weeks or months
to make enough money to decorate/build a home from a very limited
set of furniture, wallpaper and toys.  I find it quite hilarious
that they use a 3D, texture based(it appears, correct me if I'm
wrong) engine and yet they can't provide different skins or even
hue/color changes to furniture and walls.  These features are
practically free with the engine.

TSO really is nothing more than a glorified chatroom with required
treadmills lest your character wet itself and fall over dead.

Ted