Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Tue Jan 7 09:18:34 CET 2003

From: "Travis Nixon" <tnixon at avalanchesoftware.com>

>> I'm curious as to your definition of a "casual gamer" and your
>> explanation of how SCS impacts such a player.

> My other post on the subject covers this fairly well, I think, so
> I won't go into a lot of detail here, other than to say this:

> The "casual gamer" in this case is the one who wasn't causing the
> sorts of problems under MCS that you're trying to solve with SCS.
> The ones who are causing the bad things that you're trying to make
> go away primarily have 2 accounts anyway, so SCS isn't stopping
> them.

But the argument for SCS preventing abusive players is a red
herring.

Many people are saying that SCS won't prevent abuse, but that's not
the issue. The issue is that SCS is a design choice which has a lot
of benefits, and relatively few downsides. Certain benefits can be
quantified objectively, so whether there are benefits that *might*
happen is reasonably irrelevant.

Whether you use an MCS system or an SCS system, people will abuse
it. On an SCS system, certain kinds of abuse may be slightly more
difficult, but they *will* still happen. They may happen in a
different way, but abuse is abuse.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how SCS *hurts* casual
players.