Scale was RE: AC2 was RE: [MUD-Dev] Total Annilation ofDowntime

Christopher Kohnert chris at achaea.com
Fri Jan 3 15:49:29 CET 2003

On Tue, 2002-12-31 at 22:11, Dave Rickey wrote:
> From: "John Buehler" <johnbue at msn.com>

>> One last comment.  The VR gear had better be light enough to
>> handle the speed at which the player needs to look around.  The
>> gear we were using was HEAVY.  There was a pair of screens on the
>> front of the head and a small sandbag on the back the head as a
>> counterbalance.  That's not gonna work for Quake.

> FYI, the latest generation of head-mounted displays fit into a
> pair of glasses and work by painting the retina with colored
> lasers.  They're expensive as hell (and currently only display
> into one eye), but that will change.

Also good are the Crystal Eyes type of solution. (Basically
lightweight sunglasses capable of blocking each eye alternatively at
60 FPS (30 per eye)).  Shoot, even a recent PNY Geforce4 card I
bought came with something like that (though it didn't really work
on my machine *G*).  But I've worked with the Crystal Eyes a bit,
and it's pretty neat. It also solves the problem of seeing the
keyboard/mouse etc.  The only negative comment I have is that it
still causes the similar sorts of eye fatigue as head mounted
displays. I couldn't really use the glasses for more than an hour
without starting to get headaches (but others have less problems
with it).

For reference, this is what I mean by Crystal Eyes:

  http://www.stereographics.com/products/crystaleyes/body_crystaleyes.html

--
Christopher Kohnert <chris at achaea.com>