Dubious Advocate dubiousadvocate at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 3 06:04:41 CET 2003

From: "Caliban Tiresias Darklock" <caliban at darklock.com>

> boring and stupid and NOT WHY I'M PLAYING. Crafting is by nature a
> solo activity, and if I wanted solo activity I wouldn't be playing
> a multiplayer game.

Yes.  And no.  The beauty of the MMOPW to many of us is that it's a
consistent persistent world.  When I'm in the mood I can solo play.
And when I'm not I dig up my buds or form a transient group.  It's a
nice parallel to the real world, where I'm not require to go lie
down in a pine box simply because I'd like some alone time... ;-)
This is only an inconsistent viewpoint in an MMOFPS or even RTS.

But I do wish in the main that developers would cease enforcing a
behavior simply because this week they deem it desirable - incent
it, yes, but not penalize it.  If the choice in the mind is I dance
solely to their tune, then I go dance elsewhere.  I'm looking for an
entertainment service that entertains me.

The only difference I saw in the crafting suggestions is the ability
to craft detailed macros for one's avatar to perform when the player
is offline.  I'm not sure a Central MOG could justify the drag on
resources - I think it's a splendid idea for Serial MOGs.

-----
Dave Scheffer
"Questions are a burden to others, answers a prison for oneself"