Brand Loyalty (was Re: [MUD-Dev] Requirements for MM(wasComplexities of MMOG Servers))

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Thu Jan 2 22:48:48 CET 2003

On Wednesday, January 1, 2003, at 10:07 AM, Caliban Tiresias
Darklock wrote:

> When wasn't it? Don't we all know one packrat who owns every major
> PNP system and half of the minor ones? (You can usually spot this
> guy by asking whether he owns "The Arduin Grimoire".

Hey, *I* still own The Arduin Grimoire.  It's a classic.  Then
again, the most PNP stuff I own are "Spell Law" and "Arms Law" from
Iron Crown, so it's mostly a collection of historical oddities at
this point.  I have no idea what's happened in the PNP space since,
say, 1985 :-).

> One of the things I'm waiting for is the ability to log in and
> play for a few hours a week, instead of a few hours a day, and
> still be able to compete. I'll probably play a few hours a day,
> but if I need to take a week off for some reason, I don't want to
> come back and discover that the world has moved on without me and
> I can't catch up.

Agreed.  This is a problem with keeping "advancement" fast enough to
keep people entertained by it.

Amanda Walker