Lars Duening lars at bearnip.com
Thu Jan 2 21:38:11 CET 2003

Amanda Walker wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 31, 2002, at 09:02  PM, Lars Duening wrote:
>> Amanda Walker wrote:

>>> I never quite understood the mindset.  If I don't like
>>> something, I simply don't buy it.  I don't waste my time arguing
>>> with the manufacturer about their business.

Btw, since the customer is the one supposed to pay for the product
in the end, the feature set is very much the customer's business as
well.

>> It's probably this quaint notion of demand and supply.

> Exactly.  There's an oversupply of games--why bother trying to
> change a manufacturer's mind when there are so many alternatives
> out there?

Because the alternatives aren't real alternatives, just variations?
If the customer wants features A, B, C, X, and Y, but the products
on the market all offer just subsets of A..F, the number of viable
alternatives becomes rather small.

It's true that a development has to stay focused in order to get
anything accomplished, but too much focus can turn into myopia,
which in turn is particularily dangerous if you're trying to compete
in a niche market.

Lars Duening; lars at bearnip.com
GPG Key: http://www.bearnip.com/lars/lars-duening.gpgkey